Saturday, August 11, 2018

Turning 70

On my recent birthday, I turned 70. That landmark meant that I had lived 19 years longer than my father lived, as cancer took him at the age of 51. It also meant that, if my mother and maternal grandmother were any guide, I might live at least 11 more years. Both of those women left this life at the age of 81. But there was something more significant about this birthday. Many of my friends are turning the same age. This is something I haven't been aware of, or at least haven't given much thought to. I've had many of these friends since grade school. In recent years, we have
been brought back together through Facebook. We all participate in the Palm Beach High School Facebook group. Even in recent years, however, I haven't been aware of birthdays, except to note who is having one. This year, however, many of us are talking about our age. 70 seems be a hallmark that is important to us. We all have friends, family and classmates who didn't make it to this point, and I guess we celebrate 70 with a bit of gratitude mixed with sorrow. We may also be realizing that many of us won't be around to celebrate 80. 70 is a special mark in the journey of life. I don't feel 70, and sometimes I find myself surprised that I am there. But I am. I hope to make the most of this special year, and wish the best to all my friends who are sharing it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment